And the amount of money these fanworks have raised (provisionally - we'll post again once reciepts of donations come in) is...
You guys, do you realise how awesome you all are?!
Thank you so much, everyone who promoted, wrote, drew, vidded, talked and otherwise got this festival challenge to the place it reached this year.
We will be replying to all the sponsors in a day or two with the amounts their pledges reached. Many of the pledges got maxed out, which is utterly delightful, although meta, vids and fanart could still net us a couple of hundred dollars more. (If any sneaks its way in before we reply to sponsors, we'd be happy to still count it.)
Now that the challenge is over, please do take the time to enjoy the fanworks created, and leave some feedback for everyone who put in so much time and energy making them - they deserve to be appreciated on their artistic merits as well as for what they earned for charity. Consider writing up a rec post maybe, for your favourite fanworks to come out of it!
And do remember this community is open all year round to post about Muslim characters in the media around you!
kairia, azuire and I all thank you all once again for making our Eid so awesome!
But since dhobikikutti is away from the internet, we're extending the challenge for one more day. After that, we'll post the official master list, and the final tally of pledges.
So if you have anything you've wanted to finish or feel you could do a little extra, please go ahead :)
Fandom: Bones (TV)
Character: Arastoo Vaziri
Summary: Arastoo is willing to bet that of all the Muslims in the world who have broken their fast at iftar today, he is the only one who's snatching a quick bite to eat before returning to work to reconstruct the shattered skull and ribs of an unidentified murder victim.
Word Count: 1066
Fanvid focusing on the relationship between Sinbad and Rumina on "The Adventures of Sinbad." AOS is one of the few shows that features a female villain as the male hero's main nemesis, and it comes with all the subtext of worthy opponent and enemy mine, and the show lets it be slightly canon. Sinbad starts his career on the series by killing Rumina's father, a powerful sorcerer, but not before Rumina shows interest in him. Most days, Rumina just wants to have sex with him. But barring that, she'll also gleefully try to kill him, and their interactions consist of her doing one or the other alternatively, depending on what the situation calls for. This dynamic is mostly fun because of the gender-reversed nature of it, and how Sinbad often has to use his manly wiles to distract Rumina from her evil, evil ways. So they make out. Often. <3
Title: Masochism Tango
Fandom: The Adventures of Sinbad
Song: Masochism Tango by Tom Tehrer
Summary: Fracture my spine/And swear that you're mine/As we dance to the masochism tango.
Author: Amal Nahurriyeh (amalnahurriyeh)
Fandom: The X-Files
Summary: Summer Ramzan is always the worst.
Rating: PG-13 (some cursing)
Note: A part of my ongoing AU universe, the Caseyverse. Can absolutely be read with no knowledge of either canon or the universe.
(This bunker, Jamila told herself, as she transferred cultures into a new dish, was very closely climate controlled. All the time.)
Summary: Meta on Vertigo's "Fables" comics, exploring how race and gender play a part in fictional hierarchy and analyzing cultural/narrative appropriation.
Word Count: 1765
Fandom: Fables, general fairy tales.
"Fables' premise lent itself wonderfully to deconstructing some of the western fairy tales, and one of the things I loved most about it is that it did this by giving the damsels in distress like Cinderella, Snow White, and Briar Rose more agency than they ever had in their traditional stories. But once Fables introduced characters from Arabian fairy tales into its narrative, it became clear that Fables allowed this sort of gender deconstructive agency only to Western women, all of whom are portrayed as being white in Fablesverse."
Title: "A Wolfpack Of Two"
Word count: 1397
Summary: "And why is Jeff always the hero of whatever movie you think of, anyway?"
Title: "if thou wilt ever dig"
Fandom: The Bubble / HaBuah
Warning: canonical character death
Word count: 648
Summary: There was Ashraf, and there was Ashraf, and there was Ashraf. Instead of pain and heat and noise, there was Ashraf.
Fandom: Harry Potter
Characters: Ali Bashir, Original Characters
Rating: All Ages, Gen
Notes and Warnings: No warnings
Ali Bashir had come a long way in life, he reflected as he reclined in this seat for the first time. It was a long way indeed from his early '90s days of pushing and prodding trying to get any product he could into any market that would open for him.
Here are some truly stunning images from around the world of the month of Ramadan being observed.
And here are some songs for Eid from around the world, including some truly cheesy Bollywood ones.
Our collection is now live, and you are free to post your fanworks to this comm (as well as anywhere else you like). Leave a comment here with the following information, and we will edit our post to add it to the list.
The challenge stays open until midnight of the 13th of September, because our co-mod kairia pointed out that Pakistan (and Egypt and Afghanistan) celebrate for three days, and since we are raising money for the country, we thought we’d follow its tradition to give us the maximum time possible to raise what we can. Let's hope we can raise the full amount of pledged money for Pakistan flood survivors from this!
Master List of Eid-al-Fitr 2010 Fanworks
- Three Times Sooraya Compromises (And One She Doesn't) by mercredigirl (X-Men, 784 words)
- The Tale of Three Apples by zephyrprince (Harry Potter, 657 words)
- The Practical (and Occasionally Impractical) Princesses of Persia and Other Adventures by fresne (Practical Princesses, 5,463 words)
- Render Back Your Trusts by mercredigirl (Star Wars, 1,405 words)
- At the Market by ladyganesh (Full Metal Panic, 1,343 words)
- Do Shaitaan by esperante (Iqbal, 1,345 words)
- The Mechanics of Wandering by jibrailis ( Little Mosque on the Prairie, 2,625 words)
- Bending Beckham by devilc (The Hurt Locker, 2,068 words)
- A Night At Home by sharpest_asp (Indiana Jones, 235 words)
- Focus by solvent (Mr and Mrs Iyer, 609 words)
- Conversations with a Snarky God by bobthemole (Bones, 1,024 words)
- Five Unexpected Things That Happened at the First Annual Eid al-Fitr/Rosh HaShana Company Party by marina (Inception, 351 words)
- if thou wilt ever digby jadelennox (The Bubble / HaBuah, 648 words)
- A Wolfpack Of Two by jadelennox (Community, 1,397 words)
- Marching to the Beat of His Own Drum by kuwdora (Little Mosque on the Prairie, 3,221 words)
- Rebecca by katta (Robin Hood/Ivanhoe, 4,926 words)
- summer reading by frausorge (Community, 373 words)
- Competing Theories of Justice by gloss (Marvel Comics, Captain America, 1,349 words)
- The Ramadan Surprise in the Jeffersonian by yasaman (Bones, 1,066 words)
- Zaara's Granddaughter by aqrima (Veer Zaara)
- My heart, my fellow traveller by belantana (Spooks, 656 words)
- There's a Fine Line Between Coincidence, Fate, and Jonathan Carnahan by celli (The Mummy, 483 words)
- On the Road by Hokuto (Red vs. Blue, 1,039 words)
- The Completely Authorised, Un-sensationalised, Fact-Checked, Permissioned Biography of Dr. Faiza ‘Excalibur’ Hussain by dhobikikutti (Captain Britain and MI: 13, 4,232 words)
- the alchemy true human beings know by yifu (Shujian Enchou Lu, 1,043 words)
- All That Their Hearts Reveal by amalnahurriyeh (The X-Files, 3,154 words)
- Bismillah by soundingsea (Buffy the Vampire Slayer, 590 words)
- Home Now by marina (East West 101)
- If You Stayed Over by kuwdora (Sleeper Cell)
- Masochism Tango by prozacpark (The Adventures of Sinbad)
- Yusuf by glockgal (Inception)
- The Prince and the Maiden by zephre (Hidalgo)
- The Chemist by zephre (Inception)
- 10 icons by esperante ('Die Abenteuer des Prinzen Achmed' (The Adventures of Prince Achmed))
- 8 icons by lady_ganesh (Full Metal Panic)
- 8 icons by yifu (Shujian Enchou Lu)
- 7 Graphics and 17 Icons of Ardeth Bay by too_rational (The Mummy)
- 20 graphics and 25 icons of Zafar Younis by too_rational (Spooks)
- 3 icons of Aisha Al-Fadhil by livrelibre (The Losers)
- 3 Wallpapers by kuwdora (Little Mosque on the Prairie)
- 1 Movie Wallpaper by kuwdora (Cairo Time)
- 1 Movie Wallpaper by kuwdora ( Inception)
- Women, Race, and Agency in Narratives: or why i stopped reading vertigo's fables. by prozacpark (Fables)
- Deeba Resham and the Power of Words by nextian (Un Lun Dun)
Money raised so far - $1,258.50!!
10 fanvids can raise $100
20 pieces of fanart can raise $100
10 pieces of meta can raise $100
25 fanfics of over 1,000 words each can raise $350
And 50 fanworks can raise - $625
Please, please help us reach this number. Persuade friends to write a short story. Ask them to draw your favourite heroine. Tell them to write up some meta about why a particular character or movie or book is awesome.
Our challenge is awesome and we love it, but being able to give some necessary aid to people devastated by the floods is even more awesome and important. And we have the ability to do this.
Please help us make this happen.
If you are writing fiction, post it to the AO3 collection. If you are making fanart, vids, meta or anything else, you can post it to your own journals, to this comm or both, just make sure to link to it in the master post of fanworks we will be making early on the 11th.
We would also like to throw in our support of fannish fundraising efforts (such as help_pakistan) for the terrible floods that have killed over 1,500 people in Pakistan and displaced more than a million. What has been especially troubling for kairia and me has been seeing a link between Islamophic perceptions of Pakistanis as 'terrorists' and 'honour-killing savages' and an apathetic desire to 'let them die'.
As you know, one very crucial goal of our fanworks challenge has been to increase the responsible representation of Muslims in fandom, because we know the real world effects of what distortions and erasures in the media we consume can have.
So we would like to encourage you to support this challenge, and at the same time support the much more pressing and urgent need in Pakistan, by signing up to sponsor our Challenge.
How it works:
- You comment to this entry, making a pledge to donate a certain amount of money per fanwork generated. You can put conditions on your pledge, such as "I promise to donate $2 for every piece of fanfiction over 1,000 words", or "I will donate ₤5 for every fan vid, ₤3 for every fanart, ₤2 for every icon post", or "I will donate ¥1 for every fanwork up to a total of ¥30".
- On September 11th we will post a master list of all the fanworks created for the challenge, with a breakdown by type.
- By the end of September 12th, we will reply to your pledges telling you the amount you have committed to donating.
- We ask that you, when possible, send us reciepts of your donations, so that we can post the actual amount of money raised by this challenge. You can email them to firstname.lastname@example.org with private info blacked out; all information will be kept confidential.
- The charities we are encouraging donations to are Edhi Foundation, Relief4Pakistan, or the organisations listed here.
Please do help us get the word out for this double challenge; we need both generous donors who will sponsor fanworks, as well as enthusiastic fans committed to increasing the number of fanworks in our challenge!
Which means it is also time for the start of our annual fanworks challenge - this being the fourth year we've been running it!
Eid-Al-Fitr will be being celebrated across the world between 10th to 12th September, 2010, depending on local moon sightings. eid_ka_chand's annual challenge asks for fanworks -- be they fic, art, vids, icons, meta, picspam etc. -- that focus on a fictional Muslim character.
Fanworks do not need to explicitly focus on Eid or Islam, and can be about characters who are culturally rather than actively practising Muslim.
The master list of fictional Muslim characters is a good place to start looking for fandoms you can create in.
We are running the challenge for fanfiction this year at the Archive of Our Own. Post to the collection there if you are create fanfiction of any length. We will be creating a master list of other fanworks generated that we cross-post to both eid_ka_chand and eid_fic, so you can choose to post or link to icons, vids, fanart etc at the community of your choice.
Last year we had 12 stories and 5 icon posts... and not a single piece of fanart or vid. The visibility of Muslim characters in dominant Anglophone media is minor and one-dimensional. We really really hope that fandom can help us increase the representation, and join all of us who celebrate Eid!
Please sign up! We are looking forward to enjoying whatever you make!